All Affordable-affiliated Providers are approved to issue certificates evidencing completion of a credit counseling briefing and/or personal financial management instructional course in compliance with the Bankruptcy Code. Approval does not endorse or assure the quality of a Provider's services.
Affordable Bankruptcy Courses is a community service agency dedicated to providing professional financial education, and confidential counseling. Counseling is available through the Internet. Services are available to any member of the community without regard to race, religion, national origin, gender, social position, handicap, financial status or ability to pay. All client information is held in strict confidence by Affordable Bankruptcy Courses in compliance with the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Privacy Act except as authorized to be release by the client.
All counselors that are assisting and facilitating course content are employees of the assigned Agency. Counselor qualifications include a BS or BA Degree and three to five years experience in a counseling, lending or credit-related field. Counselors are required to obtain certification through the counselor certification program approved by the Institute for Financial Literacy. Counselors at the assigned Agency are required to have their certification within six month of hire for which they received the “Certified Personal Financial Counselor” designation.
Although a counselor may answer general questions about bankruptcy (via email), the agency does not provide legal or tax advice. If legal or tax advice is needed, you should seek the appropriate assistance from an attorney or tax professional.
Impact on Credit Report
Affordable Bankruptcy Courses does not disclose or provide to a credit reporting agency information concerning whether an individual client has received or sought credit counseling concerning personal financial management from the agency. Filing Bankruptcy is reported as a matter of public record and this may impact your credit reports and scores. Please check with your legal counsel regarding this matter.
Cost of Services
Affordable Bankruptcy Courses charges fees for some services to cover the cost of providing the service. Affordable Bankruptcy Courses charges a fee for the Pre-Petition Credit Counseling Briefing and issuance of the Certificate and for Compliance that is required to be filed with the Bankruptcy Court. The fee is due and payable at the time of service.
The fee for this service is no more than the client’s ability to pay and no more than $15. If you are unable to pay the fee, the counseling will be provided at a reduced fee or at no charge if you are determined impoverish as described in the Fee Waiver disclosure below. We accept VISA, MasterCard, Amex, and VISA or MasterCard branded debit cards.
Pre-Petition Credit Counseling Online Briefing
Individual and/or Joint Session:
Affordable Bankruptcy Courses, participating as a credit counseling provider agrees to waive its respective fees if the debtor student has income less than 150 percent of the poverty guidelines last published by the United States Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) (http://aspe.hhs.gov/poverty/12poverty.shtml) applicable to a family of the size and in the state involved.
- The income for comparison to the poverty guidelines is the "Total Combined Monthly Income" of all members of the household. This includes individuals who contribute financially yet will not be taking the course.
- Non-cash governmental assistance (such as food stamps or housing subsidies) is not included in calculating debtor income.
- The income of the spouse should be included in calculating income as long as spouse share same household. It is not necessary to include spouse’s income if they live separately.
- The income of any other family member living in the household as a dependent also is included.
Please email Affordable Bankruptcy Courses at
firstname.lastname@example.org, to request the necessary documentation to apply for a waiver.
To arrange for a waiver, please forward a written request for the waiver along with evidence of any and all income to:
Affordable Bankruptcy Courses
- Clients must communicate with a counselor after taking the online portion of the pre-filing counseling session and before the counseling is considered complete. This communication must take place via LiveChat. The assigned agency may not issue a certificate of completion of counseling until such LiveChat conversation has occurred.
- Pre-filing course materials (ie. certificates and course summary materials) are provided through the internet via an interactive learning module. The internet course can be accessed online 24 hours a day / 7 days a week and 365 days a year, at the student’s convenience.
- Counselors are available via email to provide further instruction and to certify completion from 9 AM to 8 PM Eastern Standard Time (EST) Monday through Thursday, 9 AM to 6 PM Friday and Saturday, and 10 AM to 6 PM on Sunday.
- The Agency does not pay or receive fees or other consideration for the referrals.
- The Agency’s supervisors and leaders have been providing credit counseling for eleven years.
- Upon successful completion of the briefing, the approved Agency will issue a certificate of completion to the client.
If you do not agree to the preceding disclosures, do not order the course, or you can arrange for a refund by contacting us at:
Affordable Bankruptcy Courses